DSHL Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

List of English monarchs

Go down

List of English monarchs Empty List of English monarchs

Post  kosovohp Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:12 pm

The first person to assume the title Rex Anglorum (King of the English) was Offa of Mercia, though his power did not survive him. In the 9th century the kings of Wessex, who conquered Kent and Sussex from Mercia in 825, became increasingly dominant over the other kingdoms of England. The continuous list of English monarchs traditionally begins with Egbert of Wessex in 829. Alfred the Great and his son Edward the Elder used the title "King of the Anglo-Saxons". After Athelstan conquered Northumbria in 927, he adopted the title Rex Anglorum. Starting with Henry II in 1154, the title became Rex Angliae (King of England).
The Principality of Wales was incorporated into the Kingdom of England under the Statute of Rhuddlan in 1284, and in 1301 Edward I invested his eldest son, the future Edward II, as Prince of Wales. Since that time, with the exception of Edward III, the eldest sons of all English monarchs have borne this title. After the death of Elizabeth I in 1603, the crowns of England and Scotland were united under James I of England (James VI of Scotland). By royal proclamation James titled himself "King of Great Britain," but no such kingdom was created until 1707, when England underwent legislative union with Scotland to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain.[1]

choisir ma banque
Flexible chimney liners

kosovohp

Back to top Go down